Tuesday, March 08, 2011

7ThumbsUp.wordpress.com ~ Allison Crowe's recipes for life

I imagine some famous chefs, when not in the kitchen, or on camera, relish the opportunity to serve up notes on a piano or guitar, or dish out an aria or folk-tune.

Musician Allison Crowe, concert and recording phenomenon, when not on the road, also creates by home-cooking -- sharing off-stage recipes and reflections in her "7 Thumbs Up" blog - "A Celebration of Life, Love and Food".



"I grew up with the 'Galloping Gourmet' Graham Kerr hehehe, (he was CRAZY), and learned how to make an omelette from watching Julia Child." Crowe starts listing other favourite kitchen creatives: "Michael Smith (makes delicious food you can do at home with what you have, but also gourmet). Jamie Oliver is amazing - he leads food revolutions. (I wish I could live in his house, with his wife, too, and also their gardener - they have this huge garden and outdoor kitchen. Maybe I can visit!). Ina Garten, decadent, guilt-free (and for other reasons, reminds me of my friend Joanne Christensen a lot). Nigella Lawson (Nigella is why I love figs... she's like the sensualist of the crowd). Fabio Picchi (hehe I met him at Cibreo, when I performed at Teatro del Sale in Florence. He's pretty awesome.) Anthony Bourdain for sure (I haven't had 'Food Network' for a long while). Gordon Ramsay (especially his OLD show where he helps people). Laura Calder (she's why I make Boeuf Bourguignon... she reminds me of my friend Helen a lot, also the sensualist type). Giada de Laurentiis (she makes amazing Italian does Giada. My bassist, Dave, is smitten.) David Rocco's Dolce Vita (he does very cool rustic Italian stuff and there's a Fabio connection!) also, the 'Surreal Gourmet' guy, I have a soft spot for Bob Blumer hehe"

"I pretty much like all of them... I'll stop at that or the list won't end."

Life is a bowl of cherries - macerated. So far, on the "7 Thumbs Up" blog, it appears that Allison Crowe knows you're coming and she's baked some cakes: there's an X Box Cake, a Super Meat Boy cake, Caffeinated Triple-Bypass Brownies, an Eggless Mocha Cake... For those who cannot live on dolce alone -- there's recipes for Pumpkin Gnocchi, Roasted Potato Pizza, Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Midnight Mac'n'Cheese, Tomato Quinoa Bread, Baked Salmon with Quinoa and Veggies, Citrusy Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps, plus, 'specially for Beaumont Hamel, Canada Day, Rosemary Bread and Toutons. And, redolent of Bob Dylan's "Shelter from the Storm", just to think that it all began with SUPER EPIC RAINBOW CAKE!!!!

The music here is a dash of Allison at sound-check, bootlegged from a Thanksgiving Day concert. Fittingly, the soundman on this occasion surprised us by wheeling over, and flipping the top on, the unusual housing for his mixing board -- a bbq grill.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home